For most of the Cacophony Project's software, releases are created automatically by Travis CI. In order to create a release:
- Point your web browser at the Releases tab of the relevant repository on Github.
- Click Draft new Release.
- Enter a new version number.
- remember that we use Semantic Versioning
- Start the tag with a "v", for example
- Ensure the correct revision is being tagged. It's often OK to just go with the current top of the
masterbranch (the default) but if you want to be extra careful you can pick a specific revision.
- Click Publish.
This will create a Git tag for the release and cause Travis CI to run the tests for the tagged revision and generate a release. This typically results in a Debian package (.deb file) which is then attached to the release on Github. The package can then be installed from there.